Sunday, May 9

NNL Opener: Crown FC, 3SC Obtain Maximum Points

Crown FC of Ogbomoso had expected a real match situation in the week 1 encounter against Holy Arrows FC Ole, Delta State in the new NNL season, but it turned out to be an unusual day as the Delta side failed to show up for the clash.

The encounter billed yesterday at the Ladoke Akintola University of Technology, LAUTECH, Sports Complex was duly a walked-over after the decision of the officials assigned for the match. 

Crown FC were subsequently awarded three points three goals as an advantage on the grounds of their opponent’s absence.

The Acting General Manager of Crown Football Club Mr. ‘kunle Oyeleye while speaking with newsmen after the game noted that the team would not be carried away by  the euphoria of earning the three points on a platter of gold, but take the result as a rare advantage and focus on the next game.

He revealed that the home side had made all the arrangements meeting up with all the demands of match day and would not have expected the absence of the Delta based team.

“We thank God for the three points. We are now looking forward to the match against Gateway United and I can tell you we are ready for the game in Abeokuta”

Oyeleye said the team was poised to justify the confidence reposed in them through the investment of Oyo State Government and called on the teeming fans of the club to continue to support them in their bid to gain NPFL promotion ticket.

Crown FC media officer, Tunji Oyedeji in a statement disclosed that the Ajilete warriors would be up against Gateway United of Ogun State in the week two match coming up this Saturday at the M.K.O. Abiola Stadium Abeokuta.

3SC Hit Rovers FC Calabar 3-0

Shooting Stars Sports Club (3SC) of Ibadan got their campaign for promotion back to the topflight off to a flying start yesterday, defeating Rovers FC of Calabar 3-0.

Star forward, Gafar Olafimihan’s hattrick, ensured the visitors were sent back home empty handed in the NNL 2021 Group BI Match Day One encounter decided at the Dipo Dina Stadium, Ijebu-Ode.

Coach Edith Agoye rolled out a killer squad that was too hard for the visitors to curtail, with goalkeeper Tambe Charles in between the sticks, ably covered by skipper Waheed Omololu, Abbey Benson, Muritala Taye and Nurudeen Amodu.

Midfield maestro Gbadamosi Fatai, held sway in the middle alongside energetic Akilu Muhammed and Adebayo Abayomi, while Gafar Olafimihan, Chinedu Enuademu and Opeoluwa Olufemi kept the visitors’ rear busy upfront.

The coach Samson Unuanel tutored Rovers spent early parts of the game to keep the Oluyole Warriors away from their half with goalkeeper Isa Ismaila forced to pull some fantastic saves.

The Rovers backline, made up of Igiebor Jerry, Taiwo Olajide, Opeanri Fabian and Chiemezie Santos tried their best to ward off the homers’ pressure until the 16th minute when goal bound Gafar, was fouled in the 18yard box.

The referee wasted no time in pointing to the spot for a penalty kick, which Gafar himself perfectly converted.

The former Osun United forward double Shooting Stars’ lead on the 27th minute when he chipped the ball over goalkeeepr Isa Ismaila to give his team a 2-0 lead, going into the half time break.

Gafar completed the rout of the visitors with a sublime finish just five minutes into the second half.

Goalkeeper Tambe was on hand to deny the visitors any goal as Akpor Simon, Usman Bala,
Cosmas Ebere and Ilevbare Daniel made efforts to reduce the tally.

The Oluyole Warriors’ next match is a trip to Enugu, where they will confront Giant Brillars in a Match Day Two fixture billed for next Saturday.

The team were relegated from the top flight Nigerian Professional Football League (NPFL) four years ago, and all efforts to bring it back to the elite class have come to naught due to several reasons.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *